5/27/09

Implant Update and Tulip Festival!

This is another one of those posts where I have been meaning to write for some time but have yet to catch up and post them all. So it is a slow process.

But before I do that, I will give a current update about myself and my implant. It has been about three weeks since I have had it turned on, and I am making some pretty good progress. I am not very consistent but I do turn to some sounds especially if they scare me. It usually has to be pretty quiet for me to really hear it (as in not a lot of background noise). The best response I have had is when I hear a new sound a few times during the course of say an hour or two, and then if that sound reoccurs (and I am not running around the house) I usually can hear it.

Like when my dad chases me around with this toy that Maya's mom gave me for my birthday. It's a little toy you push that holds balls and they roll around and make clacking sounds as they tumble around and around. Sometimes I turn to that, sometimes I don't.

I also was playing with a ball and a tin can and it made a strange sound, and for a few hours anytime I heard that sound I would turn... Of course, I got really sick of my parents doing it every five minutes so I just started to ignore them.

I have also started making car sounds when I push my cars around... mmmmmmmm mmmmmmm mmmmmm... I do this without being prompted because I rock! I also really like it when someone makes a sound by putting their lips together and blowing out and it kind of makes like a bbbvbvbvbvbvbvb sound. (lol, I am about as good at hearing sounds as I am describing them)

Today I started doing the Ahhh sound for my mom and Grandma in the car. However, when we tried to show Dad I was like... "Listen lady I am not a toy for your amusement! I will do it if I want to do it!". I had a similar situation where I was smacking my lips like I was pretending to eat after my dad was showing me how to do it. Then he tried to get Mom to come out, and I was like "show's over folks!"

All in all pretty good progress so far.

The other thing I must brag about is that I have a few signs that I do now, although we are trying to concentrate on oral sounds instead of signing so I am not really working on signs anymore, but I do the dad sign for... well dad, and sometimes... anything or anyone that I don't know the sign for..

I do the bird sign when I see a bird, and when I want to brush my teeth (constantly) I sometimes do the brush sign. I used to do the milk sign, but I stopped breast feeding so now I don't really do that sign.

Anyway, enough about me and my amazing achievements. Here are some sweet pics.. Oh... but my parents are going to try to compile a video of all my achievements. We follow this blog of a girl with Cochlear Implants (her parents are Republicans so its a real turn off, otherwise she would be hot) and they give a month update and a video so I am going to try to do that as well.

Of course my dad is frickin' busy with school and has finals so it may be a few weeks late.


Anyway, here is the tulip festival. It was awesome, and it was colorful!
Once again, these images are all very large files so if you click on them there is a lot of detail to look at.

Here we are arriving at the fields!



A look at the fields and all their wonderful colors!




Check out this cool windmill and rows of soon to be flowers mirrored by the lines of clouds.


Here I am with my mommy and some rows of yellow flowers!



My dad convinced my mom to jump behind the flower cut outs for my blog... lol, totally worth it.
He also convinced her she needed to step in the giant clog.


There was also this giant clog ride that you could get on, but I was too small to ride it. Or at least that's what my parents said. I think they just didn't want to ride around in the clogs.


Then we got an elephant ear. I ate the whole thing and almost passed out!



When we got back to the car we saw two bugs doing it.... lol

No comments:

Post a Comment